DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Click here for a PDF of the job description.
Public Advocates Inc., a bold and highly regarded civil rights law firm and policy advocacy group, seeks a savvy Digital Communications Specialist to join our team that is co-leading the national CarsonWatch partnership. CarsonWatch is a collaboration of Public Advocates with four other partners – the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, PolicyLink, Poverty and Race Research Action Council and the Right To The City Alliance. The initiative, successfully launched in March 2017, is aimed at promoting a progressive vision of housing justice locally and nationally, while resisting efforts to weaken critical housing and community development programs that benefit millions of families. In addition, the Digital Communications Specialist will provide ongoing digital and other communications support to Public Advocates’ program team(s).
Our ideal candidate understands how to use social media to activate and grow an audience and is capable of working creatively and productively at the fast pace required in digital communications. They are also self-motivated, organized and highly dependable.
This full-time position is currently funded for one year and is subject to extension based on continued success in our fundraising efforts to secure the funding needed to continue the project and this position. The Digital Communications Specialist will report to both the CarsonWatch Project Director and the Director of Communication. Unfortunately, we cannot consider applications from telecommuters nor can we offer relocation assistance.
- CarsonWatch Support (approximately 60-70%):
- Manage all social media channels ensuring the tactics and strategies we use align with the project’s larger communication and advocacy goals
- Develop and execute a strategy to significantly grow the project’s social media following and email list, employing the tracking and analysis of metrics with an eye toward increasing engagement, growing our target audience(s) and inspiring action
- Develop text-based content for all CarsonWatch social media channels, manage content on and coordinate technical updates to WordPress website, and publish weekly e-blast news brief (through MailChimp) – in proactive consultation w/the Project Director, program staff and external project partners
- Create compelling rapid-response and evergreen graphic and multi-media content
- Coordinate integrated rapid response posting for breaking news
- Keep abreast of news on adverse actions/decisions to feature; amplify local voices impacted by these actions/decisions through social media channels
- Create, manage and promote online petition and other actions
- Consistently monitor social media posts of targeted affordable housing groups and other allies, re-tweeting and re-posting throughout the day and week
- Other Program and Team Support (approximately 30-40%):
- Provide ongoing communications support to program teams, including development and execution of media plans and campaigns, posting of content on and updating of PA website, posting of PA social media content and assisting w/press list and release functions
- Other support to the communication team as needed
- Dexterity w/social media and web publishing platforms (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, WordPress) and management tools (e.g., Google Analytics, Hootsuite) and demonstrated savvy w/integration across platforms
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in digital communications and demonstrated understanding for effectively leveraging digital tools to spur action; experience growing a user/follower base through social media
- Ability to quickly and capably generate accessible content, sometimes distilling from more complex information sources; experience designing social media assets; strong writing, verbal, interpersonal communications skills; talent for editing, fact-checking and proofreading
- Experience and skill managing short deadlines and multiple, simultaneous and unanticipated tasks; demonstrated initiative in assigned work areas; flexibility and ability to handle ambiguity will be necessary
- Strong follow-up, work management and interpersonal communication skills; includes keeping supervisors regularly informed about workflow
- Preference for one or more of the following:
- Passion for using digital communication as a social justice advocacy and mobilization tool
- Demonstrated creativity in the approach to generating social media assets
- Experience working w/community-based organizations to address the needs of low-income populations
Qualities expected of all Public Advocates staff include integrity, high professional standards, commitment to progressive social change and working successfully with diverse colleagues, clients and community partners. This includes active participation in promoting healthy workplace culture through our organizational diversity initiative. We value cooperation, candor, flexibility, resilience, optimism, curiosity and sense of humor.
Compensation & Work Setting
Competitive salary range starts at $45,000 and actual salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include full health and dental insurance for employee and eligible family members; life and long-term disability insurance; generous vacation; and 403(b) retirement plan. Office is located on the Embarcadero near the Ferry Building in San Francisco, convenient to public transportation (we offer access to tax-advantaged commuter benefits).
Applications welcome immediately. To be considered, applications must include: 1) a written piece that a) explains your specific interest in this role, b) addresses how your identity and background have informed your interest in Public Advocates and c) describes a social media campaign you have worked on that will help us understand your qualifications (please include links and/or other work samples); and 2) a resume. Submit your application (and/or questions) by email to email@example.com.
Public Advocates seeks to fill this position with someone who shares our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity. We encourage all interested individuals to apply — especially people of color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category. Read our Organizational Diversity Vision Statement here.