CarsonWatch is joining hands with our national partners and allies for National Call-In Day tomorrow – Wednesday, April 26th – to let Congress know that we support increased funding to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Congress has until the end of this week to finalize spending for Fiscal Year 2017 (FY17) in order to avoid a government shutdown, which would disproportionately harm low-income communities and low-income communities of color, in particular. In fact, the uncertainty around this year and next year’s budget has already led to housing agencies closing waiting lists for high-demand vouchers. To learn more about the impact of some of the proposed cuts for next year, click here. To ensure that funding for important housing and related initiatives remains a priority during the week of debate, we are asking you all to call your legislators tomorrow.
Call Your Representative:
CarsonWatch is asking you to call your representative tomorrow and tell them to pass final full spending bills for FY17 and protect affordable housing investments. Tell your Representative that families and vulnerable populations who rely on affordable housing programs should not be held hostage by a political debate around misguided funding priorities such as a border wall or other draconian immigration enforcement measures.
Sample Script for National Call-In Day:
“Please work with your colleagues to pass a final spending bill for FY17 that protects affordable housing investments at HUD and USDA. These resources keep roofs over the heads of low income families, seniors, people with disabilities, and other vulnerable people. Affordable housing is a smart investment, leading to better health and education outcomes and boosting economic mobility and local economies. Our communities are stronger because of HUD and USDA investments. Please do not put these resources at risk by failing to pass full-year spending bills by the April 28 deadline.”
To Contact Your Members of Congress:
Call the congressional switchboard toll free at 202-224-3121 or visit the House of Representatives website and enter your zip code in the box provided.
After You Call:
Reach out to us on Facebook and Twitter! We want to share your stories about how these valuable programs have benefited you and your community!
Share The Message!
Here are some graphics to go with some sample tweets!
- It’s #NationalCallinDay! Flex your citizen muscle by letting Congress know you support increased funding to HUD! http://ow.ly/KSFf30baw4h
- Today’s the day to let Congress know! #FullyFundHUD #NoCuts #NationalCallinDay http://ow.ly/KSFf30baw4h
- Sec. #BenCarson isn’t listening. It’s time to let Congress know you support increased funding to HUD! #NationalCallinDay
- IT’S ON! Tell Congress today that you support increased funding to HUD. Millions depend on it! http://ow.ly/KSFf30baw4h #NationalCallinDay
- RT! Today @Carson_watch @Policylink @Lawyerscomm @PRRAC_DC CALL ON ALL to make our voices heard to Congress! #NationalCallInDay http://ow.ly/KSFf30baw4h
- This is not the day to snooze. Let Congress know you support increased funding to HUD!
- RT if you believe in housing protections! #NationalCallInDay @Carson_watch @Policylink @Lawyerscomm @PRRAC_DC CALL http://ow.ly/KSFf30baw4h